Summerized Blog

Balang Dam

About a week and a half ago, we went to a wine country benefit for the Balang Dam project. It was a really special evening for us, as we’d originally learned about the project first hand, while in Cambodia. The project is about restoring an ancient earthen dam near Siam Reap (and Angkor Wat). We saw the site of the broken dam, and how the surrounding community suffered from lack of water, and met some of the people who would benefit from the dam’s completion.

Since we visited, production began on the dam, but the organization was still raising funds to finish it.

At the benefit, people donated even more money than was needed to build the dam, which is so exciting.

If you’re interested in reading more about Human Translation, the organization building the dam, click here.

Laser Cutter

I did my first project on the laser cutter. It was very simple — cutting shapes out of paperboard to form wall patterns for Jason’s office. The logo I designed for Skydeck, his startup, consists of four colored "leaves" which can form various patterns when they’re combined in different ways. So I was cutting out some of these leaves.

The laser cutting was very easy, as paperboard is so thin.

I’ll post pictures later.

Mom came to visit

And she looked like a million bucks.

We had a great time trying the Slanted Door, exploring Chinatown, shopping at the farmer’s market, buying random stuff at Ichiban, and antique shopping.

Vinyl Cutting Class

Kaho and I took a vinyl cutting class with Heather; we enjoyed it.

We learned how to cut vinyl, very precisely. You can use any kind of vector file with the machine, and cut intricate designs. The machine has a tiny blade that changes direction rapidly as it cuts. Everyone cut their name out.

You’re essentially creating a sticker. The vinyl has a sticky back, and peels off a backing. I’m guessing this is how they make the typography used so frequently in museum exhibits.

On a different topic, Hung had my second 3D prototype for the salt and pepper. Some problems have been solved — the shaker is thicker, and has a more appropriate heft. And the increased level of detail on the lid is good, except the surface of it is jaggy and would require a lot of sanding to smooth I think. We tried applying acetone, which didn’t smooth it enough — but that’s why the top surface is shiny. The lid fits onto the base too tightly this time, as we’d added a bead of material to help hold it in place (it was too loose last time). There are still more issues to solve…